[LMB] OT: Doctor Who and basements

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Fri Sep 21 01:35:57 BST 2007

At 01:44 PM 9/20/2007, alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> > (1) Which nation has basements and which doesn't? (I've spent
> time in both the UK and the US but
> > the question of the existence or non-existence of basements
> completely passed me by.)
>
>It's a regional thing, not a national thing.
>
>A lot of it depends on the type of soil and the level of the water table.
>In Florida (or so I've been told), it's just physically impossible to put
>a proper basement under a house.

Climate, as well.  Northern areas almost always use basements in the
US.  It affords space for a furnace and water heater (for instance),
as well as storage, and a protected place for water pipes, etc., to
enter the building below the frost line.  I have owned two houses
with basements, and two without.  In my home town in Wisconsin,
basements were nearly universal.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net