[LMB] Reading romance

Beth Mitcham mitcham.beth at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 22:38:43 BST 2007

On 9/21/07, Elizabeth McCoy <arcangel at io.com> wrote:

> At 7:53 PM -0700 9/20/07, Raye Johnsen wrote:
> >[...] the heroine will either[...] either humour her or
> >follow her, because you can't let mad people kill
> >themselves.  And off we go.
>
> I want to read that book. Especially if she tries to steal his horse.

I do have to mention that as a genre SF is kind of standing in a
glass house as it throws stones at Romance for not having active
and competent female characters.  If Bujold wrote either the Romance
or the SF version of the tale, the skinny girl would not sit around
waiting for the handsome warrior.

But if I were going to look for the Idiot Girl *  in a bookstore today, I'd
expect to find her quicker in the SF section.But the cover would show
her standing in the alien desert, probably having mysteriously having lost
most of her clothing.  The Romance would have the Warrior holding
her in some bizarre pose, both of them having dropped off their wardrobes
in some wilderness lost-and-found but not worried about the heat
because of the strong breeze blowing their long hair about provocatively
(probably in different directions).

Beth Mitcham

* Idiot Girl in this plot bears no resemblance to the author of the blog