[LMB] Parallel between ACC and Barrayar

Elvi Dalgaard elvi at vl.videotron.ca
Sat Sep 22 00:11:43 BST 2007

Hello all,
Was just re-reading ACC and noticed something that struck me for the
first time this read: when Ekaterin is being rushed out of the house
with Nikki, near the end when Hugo and Vassily have been harrassing them
and Nikki calls Gregor to step in, a point is made of Ekaterin finding
Nikki's shoes and putting them on him.

I never noticed it before, but somehow this time (probably due to a
recent re-read of Cordelia's Honor) it strongly reminded me of the whole
thread with child-emperor Gregor's shoe, and how Cordelia holds onto it
and uses it to prove to Princess Kareen that Gregor is still alive. The
poignancy of the shoe theme in that book just seems to be touched on in
this one, as kind of a reminder of why Gregor is so sympathetic to
Nikki's situation. It also, to me, served to remind of how much safer
the world is in this time than it was during Vordarian's war.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Has it seemed like a deliberate
parallel to anyone else?

Elvi