[LMB] Parallel between ACC and Barrayar

Ed Burkhead edburkhead at insightbb.com
Sat Sep 22 02:33:44 BST 2007

Elvi wrote:
> . . . a point is made of Ekaterin finding
> Nikki's shoes and putting them on him.

Elvi,

You might be right on this - I can't guess what's in the writer's mind.

My thought, though, is that it's simply some true-to-life, experienced
mother background, tossed in to add richness and depth.

One of the things I like about Lois' writing is that she does include such
fillers and background but she keeps them sparse.  I have a medium clear
image in my mind of the Vorthys' house but the description of it is in
little snippets, scattered around the book, that don't impede the story.

This aside took five or six lines but it gives richness and texture to the
story.  Good writing.

JMHO

Ed