[LMB] OT: smart apostrophes in Word

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 01:08:14 BST 2007

--- Meg Justus <mmegaera at nwlink.com> wrote:

> As in, can anyone help me get rid of them?

My office uses Word 2003, and this is how we do it
here:

1. Go to the Tools menu (NOT the Format menu)
2. Click Autocorrect Options
3. Select the AutoFormat As You Type tab
4. In the Replace As You Type list, uncheck the "Smart
Quotes" For "Straight Quotes" box
5. Hit OK
7. Select the AutoFormat tab
8. In the Replace list, uncheck the "Smart Quotes" For
"Straight Quotes" box
9. In the Preserve list, uncheck Styles
10. In the Always Autoformat list, uncheck everything
11. Hit OK

In my experience, that takes care of anything that
already has straight quotes and make sure future
documents use straight quotes.  For documents that
need straight quotes and have smart quotes, my advice
is to open them in Notepad and then save them as plain
text.

I hope this helps!

Raye