[LMB] OT: smart apostrophes in Word

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 10:43:10 BST 2007

--- Rachel Ganz <rachel at compromise.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Sorry, what are apostrophes in the US?

An apostrophe is, specifically, this little thing
here:', when used in words such as don't, can't,
sha'n't, etc.  (Yes, I know, it's pedantic, I don't
care.  The dropped ells deserve an apostrophe too!)

> I know that Keith Waterhouse operated the
> Association for the Annihilation of the Aberrant
> Apostrophe over here, but I didn't realise that that
> meant turning them into quotes.

The apostrophe and the single quote are represented by
the same symbol.  The distinction is the use to which
the symbol is put.  This is why we are all talking
about quotes.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.