[LMB] Two Reviews

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:56:38 BST 2007

I think it is very instructive, on a meta-level, to compare and contrast
these two reviews of _Legacy_: one from a skiffy-minded reader, and one
from a reader coming strictly out of the romance genre.  (This romance
reader is unduly handicapped by not having read the first volume,
note).  But what is especially interesting to me is which elements of
the tale they draw out as central to their attention, at least enough to
be worth commenting on.  While I wouldn't say there is no overlap, the
two reads are decidedly orthogonal.  It's a not-bad sample of the sort
of effect I noticed in reviews of _Irresistible Forces_ from the two
camps, when it came out back when, and which gave me so much to think
about -- about half a million words of thinking-about, in fact.

The romance reader's review goes like this:

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/Thesharingknifevolumetwolegacy.html

And the skiffy person's review goes like this:

http://alixsin.typepad.com/main/2007/09/peering-into-th.html

Victoria L'E might have some reaction here...

Ta, L.