[LMB] Two Reviews

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Sep 28 18:28:26 BST 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> I think it is very instructive, on a meta-level, to compare and contrast
> these two reviews of _Legacy_: one from a skiffy-minded reader, and one
> from a reader coming strictly out of the romance genre.

Well alixsin's review (the "skiffy" viewpoint) is so much better written
(aside from a few typos) that it's hard to compare the two. Clearly the
romance reader seems to be primarily interested in plot and relationships,
and the setting is hardly mentioned -- I don't know whether that was
actually unimportant to her or whether it didn't fit into her concept of a
review.

Alixsin's review, OTOH, is one of the best analyses I've read of
why the Lakewalker society is moribund and why the Farmer society is
necessary to the Lakewalker in terms of technology and new ideas.
Definitely worth reading.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"Life is a play that doesn't make sense, while a play is life that does." -- Yann Martel