[LMB] OT: fonts (was smart apostrophes in Word)

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 29 17:31:26 BST 2007

My biggest gripe about Arial is the fact that Microsoft
uses it as the system font.

Combined with the promiscuous mixing of upper and lower
case in file names this can make for some
head-scratching moments while you figure out why some
app can't find a file even though you see it right
there in the directory.  I get by using Emacs Dired
most of the time.

Macintosh does the same thing, by the way, but in
Helvetica the uppercase "I" is just a hair thicker than
the lowercase "l", so there's a bit of a visual cue.

Tom