[LMB] OT: on-topic off-topic - cat indifferent need not apply

JenL jenl1625 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 20:41:02 BST 2008

On 4/2/08, James Nicoll <jdnicoll at panix.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Mark Allums wrote:
>
> stray cat moves in
> >
> > (I have also had this happen---more than once. -maa)
>
>        We had a cat from the farm one over do this to us. The cat in
> question had been raised with a litter of pups and so had a very confused
> idea about what sort of animal it was but it did know we'd let it in and
> the neighbors would not (There was an incident where they left it in a
> room with a box of day old chicks and were suprised to come home to an
> empty box and a pleased looking cat).

Ouch.  Not very sensible of them.

We had a stray that we took in when I was a kid (we were between cats at the
time).  Sam took over, of course, and was quite vocal about any attempt by
us to bring home another cat.  Once she'd broken us of any idea that we
might have some right to subject her to another cat, she brought home a
boyfriend.  We were given basically no say in the matter, but that was okay
because he was a nice cat - clearly a stray like she'd been.  He was older,
or maybe not quite as healthy as she was, and only lived a few years.  After
he'd been gone a few months, she brought home a new boyfriend . . . .   This
one was *so* happy to have a new family (he'd clearly been a pet that was
abandoned or got lost, and had been homeless long enough to be extremely
thin), that he was just the most loveable cat I've ever known.

jen