[LMB] Passage Quotes SP:

Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan tora.smulders at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:10:45 BST 2008

On 4/7/08, V L'Ecuyer <lecuyerv at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also notice that Fawn is as much of a maker as Dag is. I'm not talking
> about the spinning and cooking -- although the spinning and knitting works
> as a metaphor. Fawn is good at building relationships and communities
> wherever she goes. I love how she talks Remo out a middle of the night
> suicide.
>
> Victoria

I received the Passage ARC last week (Thanks, James, you're the best
as always!) and read it through avidly.  Which partially explains my
lack of list and other participation in the last week -- other
explanations include two half days at work -- one child care and one
pain in the behind.  Anyway, probably why I haven't mentioned it much
is that I actually was quite disappointed.  After the first, "wow it's
nice to see Dag and Fawn again" and comfy cosy feeling, I just found
it really slow.  Also, less real action and I felt that Fawn was
mostly just sitting around while Dag actually did stuff.  I didn't
like that much.

However, Victoria's point above about Fawn being a maker reminds me of
how much Fawn actually did.  Which I did notice, but it does bear
repeating.  Dag couldn't have done most of what he did without her.
That said, she does seem to be slipping very comfortably into the role
of little wifey who is weak, needs protecting, but takes real good
care of her husband.  That doesn't wash well with me.

Also, I generally have a dislike of traveling books, as such.  So my
disappointment partially lies there as well.  Also, we learn a lot
about the Lakewalker ground abilities, but I really really wanted to
learn more about the Malices!!!!!  Frustration probably more than
anything else.  Still wonderfully written.  :-)

-Tora, slightly uncomfortable writing probably her most negative
(towards LMBs writing) email on this list, but hey, if it's not
honest, is it worth saying?