[LMB] TSK: Beguilement Re-Read, Chapter 10

Thad Coons tocoons at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 05:29:42 BST 2008

>What do you think of the split between the Lakewalkers and the farmers by
>this time?
>What is your opinion of the farmers' forgetfullness in general and
>Fawn's lack of infomation in specific?
>How did learning about Dag's back story affect your opinion of him as a
>person?

I suppose what struck me was that the Lakewalkers seem to be actually
declining in population.  The patrols in the Glassforge area were some
20-30% understrength and a year or more behind, but what standard is this
being measured by? It sounds as if they are trying to do the same job their
ancestors had done, with fewer people.
   I guess this is where I bring up Dag's recollection of Mari's comments on
the farmer's lack of control of their fertility. I thought it a bit
ironic, because it seems (from later evidence) that the Lalkwalkers can't
always concieve when the want to and don't always want to when they
can. Evidently,  the farmers are outmultiplying them. (I'm sorely tempted to
draw parallels to contemporary attitudes, but I'll bite my tongue. )
   If it is the case that the Lakewalkers are declining, I also wonder how
much of it is because of their strict marriage customs ..declining fertility
due to excessive inbreeding?

  While the Lakewalkers claim they are trying to avoid becoming lords, they
do seem to have a definite sense of their own superiority. "The
noble, self-sacrificing, valorous Lakewalkers fighting the malices on behalf
of the poor, ignorant, defenseless, ungrateful farmers" is a dangerous
attitude to cultivate even if there is an element of truth to it.
   I suppose I tend to blame the Lakewalkers more than the famers for
the mutual misunderstandings:  If the farmers are ignorant about Lakewalker
abilities and motives,  it is partly because the Lakewalkers have kept them
ignorant.
   I can account for the farmer's relative ignorance about malices: the
Lakewalkers seem to be a victim of their own success at catching most of
them when they are small. Their ignorance of their own history is a bit more
of a puzzle. Then again, I don't know much more about my own ancestors than
Fawn does about hers.