[LMB] looking for more stories... american civil war

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Thu Aug 14 00:44:18 BST 2008

Quoting Francis Turner <francis.turner at gmail.com>:

> The only McCrumb I've ever read was Bimbos of the Death Sun. I
> recommend it to anyone planning to go to an SF con but I'm told that
> Ms McCrumb would like to renounce all knowledge of the work...

I've read both _Bimbos_ and its sequel; I can't honestly say that the
types she depicted are not commonly found at cons, but I found the
general tone snide and insulting.  The vibe I got was "oh, look at the
social misfits who have no lives and (if male, at least) can't get
laid!"

In contrast, Mary Monica Pulver's _Murder at the War/_Knightfall_ was,
IMNSHO, a better book---she's a SCA member herself, and showed what
the SCA is all about in a way that acknowledges just how odd we can
appear to mundanes, without holding the whole thing up to scorn.

Kind of like the "n-word"---blacks can and, I am told, do use it
freely among themselves, but for a non-black, particularly a white, to
use it is Very Bad Juju.