[LMB] looking for more stories... american civil war

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Aug 14 19:31:32 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 05:49:06PM -0400, Nancy L. Barber wrote:
> ><snip>can anyone reccomend other good civil war stories?  or readable non-fic,
> >which is intended for the public and not  university types.

Let me recommend Stephen Vincent Benet's poem _John Brown's Body_,
which is incredibly readable, and perhaps the last great epic to
have been written (using "epic" in the sense of "poem like Homer"
rather than the modern publisher's meaning of "we want you to buy
this book and the next 20 in the series").

Benet has a true gift for language and description, and a feel
for the Civil War era.  He really "gets" Lincoln and Grant IMO.
The passage by John Brown before his trial is inspiring and
heartbreaking.

And the invocation to the American Muse is worth it all by itself.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a copy used; there were a number of
editions.

Tony Z

--
When the safety people say too few kids are falling out of trees,
you know caution has gone too far. -- Joanne Jacobs