[LMB] Of Fen and Women

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Thu Aug 21 17:39:20 BST 2008

What sort of car was your mother driving? I noticed that when the little Japanese cars came onto the American market, American women's driving ability increased to the point where "woman driver" jokes were met with puzzled looks rather than knowing laughter. Why?

American cars were heavy, made for people who averaged between 5'7" and 6'-something, and power steering was unknown for some time. When it came it, it was considered a luxury. Japanese cars were lighter, made for people who averaged around 5'4" give or take some, and a lot of them had power steering.

Pat, whose mother was just as bad a driver, but hey, when did she ever get the chance! Upon widowhood and the purchase of a little Mazda, she got up ti speed with the best of us.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/