[LMB] OT: Speaking of shocking the burghers

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Tue Aug 26 02:57:12 BST 2008

Quoting Meg Justus <mmegaera at nwlink.com>:

> Eric:
>> You all have absolutely NO idea of how eagerly I await the day when
>> the whole "piercing" fad goes away.  I've never liked them, not even
>> for earrings.
>
> Yes.  I do.
>
> Megaera
> whose utter horror of needles (except the sewing variety) translates into
> cringing away from the results of their use in "decorating" the body --
> which gets rather socially awkward, these days

Me, it's not because I'm frightened of needles or sharp objects.  I
gave blood again today.

FWIW, my blood pressure's down---118/82, and that's _after_ several
glasses of high-octane iced tea.  If I can just get the ol' blood
sugar to cooperate, I'll be good-to-go.

I just find the whole "piercings" thing unattractive---and when it's
done to sensitive parts of the body (gen*talia, n*pples, places like
that) I can't help but shudder a little.

Tattoos, I mind rather less, but I do think some people get as
addicted to them as Michael Jackson is to plastic surgery.  I've seen
a few people with facial tattoos that would make a Maori warrior green
with envy, and I hope for their sake that Mommy and Daddy have money,
because no WAY are they ever going to be considered employable.