[LMB] Anime

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 3 23:14:47 BST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 09:59:47PM -0500, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:

> Contemporary Japan:  Hikaru no Go  I adored the Heian Go-master
> ghost/geek, Sai.

Though we didn't see much of the actual Go games!

> Best ever quasi-historical I've yet seen, if you can find it:
> Saiunkoku.  Young girl makes good -- by her brains! -- in a land
> resembling ancient China.  Excellent on every level.

For my money, it started well, but the second half got silly/light.
Combats in particular had no tension.  And the supernatural stuff
develops slowly and never fully.

I also endorse Juuni Kokki, or the Twelve Kingdoms.  Based on novels
(with some official, and more fan (and better translation) by Fuyumi
Ono, also the author of Ghost Hunt.  Yes, Youko -- a 16 year old
Japanese girl raised by an oppressively traditionalist father, and
abducted into relentless hostility and danger -- takes a while to
develop a backbone, but the development and world are well done.  And
it's concise -- the first arc, corresponding to the first novel, takes 14
episodes.  Really 12, minus filler ep from another novel, and recap at
the end.

Disadvantages: pretty much no romance, series tendency to recaps, and
Taiki's story is never fully ended.  Which isn't the anime's fault: even
the Youko/Taiki novel they didn't anime doesn't wrap things up nicely.

But it's my favorite anime.

-xx- Damien X-)