[LMB] ot question: The Android's Dream

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Jun 9 15:34:49 BST 2008

At 06:52 AM 6/9/2008, Marilyn Traber wrote:
>My Darling, My Hamburger
>Old Yaller
>Old man and the Sea and some infernal other Hemmingway about some guy
>dying of some injury in Africa or maybe South America
>Grapes of Wrath
>Red Pony
>The Chocolate War

You know, Ernest Hemingway (note correct spelling) and John Steinbeck won Nobel Prizes for Literature in 1954 and 1962, respectively, for writing crap like that.

I can say with pride that I have never written any of the other books you have listed, either.

My own high school literature assignments were David Copperfield (which I didn't read as an assignment, as I had already read it for pleasure), House of the Seven Gables (which was, indeed, dreck) and the Scottish play, which, when heard on record, ain't bad.

I read The Caine Mutiny and The Secret Agent in freshman English in college, and then I took a course in modern literature (which at that time ranged from the late 19th to the early 20th centuries, and included Crime and Punishment, War and Peace, and an expurgated Lady Chatterley's Lover.

What's interesting is the books my relatives thought I would like when I was a kid (pre-high school).  They included Bambi, Bambi's Children, Penrod, Penrod and Sam, Penrod Jashber (a three in one omnibus), Moby Dick (which I despised and never finished), and Lassie Come Home.  What I read for pleasure were the works for children of Henry B. Lent, Tarzan and the Golden Lion, Above the Bright Blue Sky by Elliott White Springs (who knew whereof he wrote), and The Boy Scout Aviators (pure Mary Sue).

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net