[LMB] Steinbeck (was Re: ot question: The Android's Dream)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Jun 10 19:50:19 BST 2008

Elizabeth said...

> Steinbeck wrote a lot of terrific books. I am astounded that some don't
> like him. I think he's
> brilliant. One of my favourite American authors, along with Lois McMaster
> Bujold, Raymond
> Chandler, Earnest Hemingway and Robert B. Parker.

Well, I was made to read "The Pearl" in school at the age of 12.  I hated
it, and that experience has put me right off ever trying to read any
Steinbeck ever again.  Ever.

(Though in fairness, I suspect I was probably too young for the book then,
and may be doing it an immense disservice.  But I am still not inclined to
re-try it.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for
people to work."
- Peter Drucker