[LMB] Steinbeck (was Re: ot question: The Android's Dream)

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Tue Jun 10 21:56:44 BST 2008

--- "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net> wrote:

> Well, I was made to read "The Pearl" in school at the age of 12.  I hated
> it, and that experience has put me right off ever trying to read any
> Steinbeck ever again.  Ever.

I was about to say, totally erroneously, that I hadn't studied Steinbeck in school, but we did.
We studied "The Moon is Down" in high school - I was probably 16 or so - and I loved it.  That got
me reading Steinbeck, though I just had a look at his bibliography and realize I've only read a
tiny fraction of his output. I never knew he'd written so much.

I don't know what I'd have thought at 12. I still haven't read "The Pearl" (though I do intend to
read more Steinbeck in future).

> (Though in fairness, I suspect I was probably too young for the book then,

Probably. That can be very off-putting. And just being forced to read something when you don't
want to can be ruinous, at any age.

namaste,
Elizabeth