[LMB] ot question: The Android's Dream

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Tue Jun 10 23:00:47 BST 2008

Elizabeth asks:
> Isn't that a good reason not to be an English major?

Yes, but there were a lot of reasons I stuck with it.  My undergrad degree
was mostly a means to an end (library school being that end), and it would
have taken far too long to switch majors by the time I was truly fed up
enough to want to.  Life interrupted my college career for too many years as
it was.

> I made it a point in High School to read all the books before we studied
> them, because I tended to
> hate any book I first encountered as an assignment.  There were
> exceptions, though "A Farewell to
> Arms" is the only exception I can think of offhand.

That is a good idea.  About the only time I did that was when somehow I'd
managed to land in a class that assigned something I'd already read for
another class among all the new stuff.  If I *never* have to read Bartleby
the Scrivener again, for instance, it will be far too soon.

> I had no problem. It came as a complete surprise: I started to read the
> book, and fell in love
> with his style.  Reading Hemingway is highly emotional for me.

To each hir own :-).

Megaera
who always got the impression Hemingway just needed to quit banging his head
against the wall, but that's just me