[LMB] OT: general books

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Wed Jun 11 22:41:35 BST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cheryl Malaguti" <zarah_210 at yahoo.com>

> Jerrie <adkinslawfirm at mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>Micki shares:
>>>I'm getting some Shanna Swendson {is that her name?} and I hope
>>>she's good. Looks fun and silly and light.)
>>
>>Do you mean her fantasy series set in New York?
>
> Shanna has this to say about her series:
>
> "Will there be another book in the Katie Chandler series?
>
> I have one more (at least) planned, and that book is even partially
> written, however, my publisher is declining to publish it at this
> time, and so far, no other publisher wants the fifth book in a series
> started somewhere else. The publisher is concerned that the sales of
> the series are dropping from book to book, so they think if this

It sounds like the author is a victim of computerized "net" ordering,
wherein each book gets ordered by large chain booksellers in the numbers
which the previous book had sold in, at the time the forthcoming book got
announced.... of course, sales are almost always going to be significantly
less than the number of books the bookseller ordered, so, each time the
bookseller orders fewer books.  And books that aren't in a store for a
customer to buy, usually don't sell  (most sales the buyer buys the book off
the shelf and isn't ordering in advance or ordering something that's not on
display or is out of stock in the store...)