[LMB] reading in the bathroom

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Fri Jun 13 13:00:13 BST 2008

--- Jane Hotchkiss <focsle1928 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kennedy asked (5 digest ago - I hadn't checked the mail in 24 hours) whether any of us
> read in the bathroom. Certainly. And in the tub too, since another listie suggested several
> moons ago to put the book in a zipped plastic bag. But I'm only a tub person when utterly achy -
> my tub is too short.

When I was a teen I used to read in the bathtub.  No longer.

I remember once, I had a nice bubble bath and was reading a Dickens novel, one of an old red-bound
hardcover set inherited from my mother's grandfather.  My mother walked into the bathroom and
screamed. Turned out - though I hadn't notived, I was busy reading - that the steam had made the
red dye in the books run, and it was running in rivulets down my arms - looked like blood.

That didn't discourage me from reading in the tub, though I probably picked other books after
that.

I no longer read in the bathroom at all. If I read on the toilet, I lose the circulation in my
legs - very uncomfortable. And I don't take baths any more, just showers.

namaste,
Elizabeth