[LMB] OT School setworks

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Fri Jun 13 17:12:14 BST 2008

Quoting Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com>:

> Asimov mentioned having had a similar conversation with a literature prof
> about one of his own stories, Asimov asserting that he hadn't put anything
> like that in the work, the prof declaring that Asimov had done so even if
> he hadn't intended it.

To some extent, the profs do have a point...it's almost impossible to
write without your background and culture and current events affecting
your work, even if you aren't conscious of it.  Kindly Old Professor
Tolkien's work would have been very different if he'd been a
non-religious type, or a "Sunday only" Anglican, instead of a very
serious Catholic, to name just one example.

Just for one example, here-and-now slavery, no matter how mild its
practice, is a Great Big HUGE No-No; so a lot of SF/fantasy writers
who're stuck for easy-to-hate villains make them slavers, and the Good
Guys, of course, are always utterly opposed to slavery, even if
they're supposed to come from a culture where it's not unusual and
part of the scenery.  I've ranted about this elsewhere---it's often
the sign of a lazy writer.