[LMB] OT School setworks

Lucy Chubb lucy at chubb.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 14 13:09:04 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 06:59:50PM -0600, Pat Mathews wrote:

> I remember reading that the people who read the gory and/or the depressing stuff are people who have been sheltered. That the tough-looking guy with the deep desert tan and the look of having seen some shooting will probably be reading a gardening magazine.

I've had some real "life sucks" stuff at various times and what I've found
is that I can't handle the dark literature when I'm going through it (or for
a time afterwards), but I do read some darker, but not very dark, fiction
when life is looking up. Mind you, since I lost my first child, I can never
read fiction where someone's baby dies without it disturbing me too deeply
to enjoy the work.

> I have to admit that while I loved thrills and chills and world-wrecking when I was a lot younger, these days I'd rather have a (plausible) happy ending or a story of how-they-did-it.
>
> As you said. If I want gloom, doom, despair, incompetence, etc, I will witch the nightly news.

Yup.

LucyC