[LMB] OT: Gloomy fiction was: School setworks

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 15 05:55:37 BST 2008

Marilyn writes:
One thing I do is NOT look for answers in fiction. Life sucks and life
is good, and the only way to deal with it is to do.

Well, I disagree with this. It can be very enlightening to read a fictional character dealing with a problem (or a metaphor for a problem). As a reader, you think about the problem from a new light -- maybe it's "geez, what a moron! I guess I won't be trying that!" or maybe it's "huh, never thought of it that way -- maybe I could give it a try."
But I do agree that the way to deal with it is to "just do it." Books can provide guidance, they can provide a respite, but they can't live your life for you.
I can name you several very, very good books that I just won't be reading again. Beloved. The Lovely Bones. A 1000 Acres (by Jane Smiley -- I just don't know if I can face any more Jane Smiley, although she's very insightful and has her funny moments).
BiA, Memory -- those are balanced with enough optimism and hope that I can re-read them. They just don't get read as often as the first two Vorkosigans (Cordelia's Honor), and the Komarr/ACC  duo. Although, I would never wish they were never written!! Miles would be a completely different character without those aspects defined.
Micki