[LMB] OT: A General SF Question

James khavrinen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 23:47:05 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Kathleen Morrison
<kathleen.morrison at gmail.com> wrote:
> See also _Needle_ by Hal Clement and the sequel _Through the [Eye of a ] Needle_.

Although I've long been fond of that pair, I wouldn't say they quite
fit my definition of "Bodysnatcher" books.  To my mind, in order to
qualify the entity in question has to be able to either a.) create a
duplicate of a person that can 'pass' as that person, unless it is
caught doing whatever alien things motivate its charade, or b.) take
control of a person's mind, forcing them to do its bidding.  Hunter
and his people, in _Needle_ and _Through the Eye of a Needle_, can
barely manage a brief takeover of a host's muscles, if that.  In other
words, symbiote/parasite, yes; bodysnatcher, no.  As always, YMMV.
They do, however, qualify on the POV front.

James ( Khavrinen )