[LMB] return to list questions?

V L'Ecuyer lecuyerv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 01:00:18 BST 2008

> From: "Tora K. Smulders-Srinivasan" <tora.smulders at gmail.com>
>
> Hi Everyone!
>
> I'm thinking that this might be a good time to return to list
> questions on a regular basis.  Quite selfishly, because my crazy busy
> time is over (for now), I hope.

Me:
Go for it. If people want to send me questions regarding Legacy discussion,
please, do. Or you can just start without me. I should have time and energy
to spare Any Day Now.  Really.

I'm dealing with the aftermath of a tornado. Here's some live action
entertainment  http://www2.ljworld.com/videos/2008/jun/12/18988/ the
orangish glow on the horizon at 1:10 marks where it crossed two blocks from
where I live. It didn't sound like a train at that distance. I thought it
was more like a really big, incredibly angry lion. (Primal rage a
la Hollywood works well, too.) I could hear the transformers blow as they
were ripped off the poles - they sounded like municipal-grade firework going
off at close range. It was near enough to be nerve wracking, but far enough
that I don't have to deal with the destruction at home.

Work is another matter.

The campus has official pictures here
http://www.k-state.edu/media/stormphotos.html and heres some unoffical stuff
http://picasaweb.google.com/infinity232/Tornado by a student living near
campus. I note that neither one of them have shots of Weber Hall's cooling
tower hanging half on, half off the roof like an oversized, metal plated
caterpillar crawling off the roof and down a wall. I haven't had a chance to
upload my pictures yet.

I don't have the time or energy to do much at the end of the rather long
days right now. (I'm running the interface between the insurance company and
the Facilities group -- documenting things out the wazoo in addition to all
my other work.) The flood of damage reports are subsiding to a trickle -- in
number. The hidden-to-immediate-view stuff is starting to come to light.
It's mostly structural damage because our little EF-4* didn't carry the
buildings off, but it sure tried. We've got the bent structural joists (roof
I-beams) and cracked/broken rafters along with wobbly walls and somewhat
exploded ductwork to prove it.

Victoria.

* For what that means go here
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-scale.htmland here
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ based on some of the damages I'm
documenting, it was right on the border between an EF4 and EF5