[LMB] CO2 - Re: Butter Bugs! Well, almost.... OT:

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Fri Jun 27 03:26:37 BST 2008

Mark Allums wrote:
> Greg Hennessy wrote:
>>> I have read, and I believe, and I will look up a reference if necessary,
>>> that CO2 is responsible for about 2% of warming, and water vapor, about
>>> 95%.  Methane, fluorocarbons, and other things, the other 3%.

>> Please do look up the reference, I think your numbers aren't even close
>> to reality.
>>
>> Water vapor causes about 60 percent of the greenhouse
>> effect, CO2 about 25 percent. The numbers are uncertain
>> enough that you could add or subtract about 10 percentage
>> points from either number and I would accept it as reasonable.

> I will try and do better and get some sources from research or climate
> data.  I read an article about a year ago that said much the same as
> you, and another that said much the same as what I have repeated.  So,
> apparently, opinions vary on this subject.

Here is a website that says water is about 95%.  I was apparently wrong
about methane.  Methane is a very effective greenhouse gas, but there is
very little of it in the atmosphere, so it doesn't contribute much.
Apparently, nitrous oxide is much more important.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

I was also wrong about the effect of CO2.  They say it is larger than I
remember.  I said about 2%, they say about 3.6%.

I don't know who these people are, so I can't vet the site as an
authority.  I will keep looking.

Mark Allums