[LMB] OT: energy strategies

Francis Turner francis.turner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 15:10:39 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 4:03 PM, anmar mirza <anmar.mirza at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> As a class exercise:
> Since, at present, the only viable form of nuclear power is fission,
> calculate how much fissionable material we'd need and how many 100 megawatt
> power plants we'd need to supply the US
> total energy needs and how long the US reserves of fissionables would last
> at that consumption
> rate (leaving aside waste disposal and resource extraction).

Worldwide this has already been done in the book I mentioned -
http://www.withouthotair.com/ - depending on what nuclear cycle
(thorium vs uranium) and whether anyone bothers to prospect for more
readily available uranium you have anywhere from a decade or two to a
few centuries (ofcoursenot all uraniu/thorium is currently in the US)

--
http://www.di2.nu/blog.htm
Faber's Fourth Law: