[LMB] Butter Bugs! Well, almost....

anmar mirza anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 16:50:34 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:

> This entire discussion (a small part of which appears above) illustrates a
> problem I have--I don't know which side of the argument is actually right,
> and, as there's no authority which both sides will agree is correct, I get
> to flip a coin to decide who to believe.  With the predictable chance of
> being wrong half the time.

I've found that the more education and experience I have, the more
critically I am
capable of thinking of the issues.  I grant you that I may have my own
internal biases,
but as a scientist I try hard to acknowledge them and work with them.  There
are many
political issues about which I know that there is no way I can get enough
information to
form a coherent opinion on, so I try to listen to sources I trust.  The
sources I trust are
the ones which tend to have as little political bias as is possible.

Unfortunately, policy makers are influenced by special interest groups, and
all of them
have a vested interest in keeping the average person as uninformed as
possible.

So, it is a crapshoot.  But the more informed you are and the better a
critical thinker you are,
the better you can tilt the odds to match your beliefs.  In the end, the
house still wins.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, Central Region NCRC Coordinator,
Owner Lost Creek Packs, blog.myspace.com/anmarmirza