[LMB] OT: Energy Strategies

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sat Jun 28 01:38:37 BST 2008

James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:
> Mark Allums believes that:-
>
>  >...electricity will work if and when good
>  >batteries are developed.
>
> According to Wikipedia
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
> the energy density of the best lithium ion
> nanowire batteries is 2.6 MJ/kg, and the energy
> of hydrogen/oxygen combustion is 13.3 MJ/kg, so
> the best we can do with a closed battery is
> only five time better than the best that is
> presently seen as possible (which is, admittedly,
> four times better than present lithium ion
> batteries).
>
> Hydrogen/air fuel cells (using external air)
> are 143 MJ/kg, which is a lot better.
>
> But it might be better to burn the hydrogen in
> a turbine or internal combustion engine than
> in a fuel cell.
>
> James - who WILL do sums

Wikipedia again. :(  Obviously, it will take a breakthrough or two in
storage tech.  There may be something somebody hasn't thought of  about
batteries, or capacitors, or something.  I'm hoping so.

Hydrogen is nice, but is it very sneaky, and really love to leak.  There
are other roadblocks to it.  It will take some breakthroughs, as well,
to be practical.  We can hope.  You might respond, "It's just a matter
of engineering."  Let's hope so.

Mark Allums