[LMB] OT: Srsly

Terra howtoparent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:44:19 BST 2008

Ed Burkhead wrote:
>> Srsly = Seriously.
>>
>> I've noticed that Webspeak tends to trend toward
>> Acronyms --------- OMG (Oh My Gosh/G*d/Ghu)
>> Devowling -------- Srsly (Seriously)
>> Numerification --- l8r (Later!)
>>

> <polemic>
>
> I could sympathize with "webspeak" back in the days of 300 baud, perhaps
> even in the 1200 baud days, but today?  NO!
>

> Ed
Actually the really abbreviated webspeak isn't webspeak at all - it's
SMS speak.  It is quite laborious to type on your number keypad on your
phone, but teenagers text *all day long* and they've got the art of "say
it in less than 4 letters" down to a science.

The bits that are truly web in origin evolved in chat rooms where you
had to type FAST in order to get a word in edgewise because there were
15 other people typing at 80 wpm.  The more you could shorthand the
common phases (LOL, BRB, DH/DW, OMG) the more you could actually
participate as the chat scrolled past so fast it was hard to even keep
up with the reading, let alone the typing.  In communities where I was
active a few years ago it wasn't uncommon to have 20+ people in a chat
room, 3-4 conversations going on at once - and you'd be participating it
ALL 3-4 conversations.  Abbreviations were absolutely necessary :)

Clearly I've spent far too much time online :D

I will say, though, that in intense communities where there are real
issues being discussed, young people learn proper grammar, spelling  and
narrative flow structure right quick - because otherwise they aren't
listened to.  If you sound dumb in a community on a bulletin board, a
LiveJournal or a Blog, no one will take you seriously.  Blogging is
making writers out of a lot of people who would never have paid
attention to good writing standards in high school.   Fanfiction is
fantastic training ground for authors.  I've followed several fanfic
writers from their sketchy beginnings to their first published books of
their own original material.  All of their education was in fanfic,
polishing their work with the help of many beta readers and then their
general public readers.

Terra