[LMB] OT: Srsly

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Mon Jun 30 20:18:05 BST 2008

Quoting Terra <howtoparent at gmail.com>:

>> (-: I thought it was a great explanation, too.
>> Micki
>>

> Thanks Micki :D
>
> (and emoticons are their own complete language aren't they? - I miss the
> old Yahoo chat set just for the one where the smilie is turned inside
> out by an alien head :P)
>
> Terra

Ambrose Bierce suggested something very like emoticons as far back as
the late nineteenth/early twentieth century...he wanted something like
a smiley mouth, to be put after things that were meant to be read
humorously or ironically.  He called it the "cacchination mark," or
the "snigger mark."  It would be used either after a whole paragraph
of ironic or humorous prose, or for items in an otherwise serious
piece that were ironic or humorous.