[LMB] Anime

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri May 30 03:59:47 BST 2008

[LMB] Anime
Vincentalienzk at aol.com Vincentalienzk at aol.com
Fri May 30 03:01:02 BST 2008

You MUST watch:  (snip assorted recs)

***  For the goofiest ever, yet strangely compelling:  Kyo Kara Maoh.
OMG, Conrad's a-a-a-rm!!!

Excellent all-round, but dark:  Fullmetal Alchemist   Col. Roy Mustang
was my favorite character.

A very nice ( brilliant animation) historical-contemporary fantasy blend
(which you can do when you have reincarnation) :  Otogi Zoshi   I liked
this one a lot, despite certain plot flaws.

And now for something completely different:  Fruits Basket    Shy
Japanese high school girl heroine.

Guilty pleasure:  Mirage of Blaze.  It's like canonical slash.

Contemporary Japan:  Hikaru no Go  I adored the Heian Go-master
ghost/geek, Sai.

Best ever quasi-historical I've yet seen, if you can find it:
Saiunkoku.  Young girl makes good -- by her brains! -- in a land
resembling ancient China.  Excellent on every level.

The adventures of a Goth girl to whom all fans can relate:  Wallflower.
*Seriously* surreal.

*Everything* by Studio Ghibli

Edo-period historical, with hip-hop (and it works) :  Samurai Champloo.

Heian again:  Shonen Onmyoji, but there only seem to be 2 discs
available, very frustrating.

Contemporary -- a fan club in a regional Japanese college,  Genshiken
Wonderfully observed characterization.

Ta, L.  (Who has learned way too much about all this lately.  I blame
Netflix.)