[LMB] Techno-ethics (Dunno if its OT or not)

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Tue Oct 21 20:07:43 BST 2008

Alayne wrote:
> One thing you didn't mention: these drugs are, in general,
> generics which are being legally and properly sold to
> Canadians under license. Canadian law requires this
> licensing after a certain number of years of monopoly.

Thanks for the information, Alayne.

How long is that permitted "number of years of monopoly"?  How does that
compare with the patent time period?

What's the drug research budget in Canada?  It'll probably be hard to
measure how that compares per capita with the drug research contribution
paid through drug prices by those in the U.S.

I hope your research establishment supports the orphan drugs with such small
constituencies that they are not of interest to the big drug companies.

That leaves an ethical issue:  if Canadians are paying for their share of
research through taxes, would Americans buying across the border be paying
that tax share as well?

Ed