[LMB] OT: For all our Canadian and British readers

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 16:36:55 BST 2008

At 09:10 AM 10/13/2008, B. Ross Ashley wrote:
>On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:45:54 -0400, Stewart Dean <sdean7855 at earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>> FWIW (and I don't think this falls under the proscription on
>> American political discussion), I've always felt that America has
>> real problem in combining in the Presidency both the head of
>> the government *AND* the focal point for allegiance.  In the Brit
>> setup, you give your allegiance to the Queen and the executive
>> position to the PM...and if he bollixing things up "royally", he's
>> gone with a vote of no confidence....none  of this crap we
>> Americans have of it being unpatriotic to criticize the
>> President or hold him or her to account.   No confidence is a
>> *much* better way of dealing with idiots than that whole clanky
>> circus of impeachment, yada, yada.
>
>We do get the occasional idiot as Governor General, or more often as Lt-Gov of a province, but those standins for Her Majesty are just that, and have no practical power at all, except HM's now traditional "encourage, advise and warn". The King-Byng affair pretty much put paid to anything else at all http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0004313

Not being Canadian, I kind the King-Byng whingding a thing hard to understand, but I would guess that the GG kind of occupies the place in Canadian life that her majesty occupies in the United Kingdom.  It appears that in commonwealth nations, politics sometimes reaches a point of impasse, and in the King-Byng fling, the GG had to refuse to order new elections until a vote of no confidence passed, right?   In Australia some years ago, the opposite occurred; the government was unable to pass a budget, and the GG ordered new elections on his own.  Either way, the GG acted.  I don't know what would happen in the UK if, say, a govenrment lost a vote of confidence but refused to ask her majesty for new elections.  Would she send Parliament home and order new elections?

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net