[LMB] LQ #35: Barrayaran Society (Tues. Oct. 7th)

The Sundance Kid bobug at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 17:21:40 BST 2008

On 10/23/2008 Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>  > This is common.  The dominant state associates itself with
>  > > the empire,  while others try to show their individuality.
>  Think of
>  > > Russia within the USSR.
>
>  So do the States within the US do this?

Even though I've lived in several states, I tend to say "I moved here from New Mexico. I'm from Ohio originally, however." The US is trending towards a culture where inter-state moving is not considered an uncommon or dramatic event. However, there's also this perception that the US is a fairly small geographic region. I told one of my friends in the Netherlands that I moved from Maine to New Mexico and he said "Oh, that was just a couple of hours, right?" I explained that it was 2,500 miles and he was floored. He had no idea that the country was really THAT big. Maybe this answers your question?

-Heather (still delurked)