[LMB] idle thought

Richard Suitor rsuitor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 01:31:59 GMT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold
<lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:

>    So maybe two to four people out of a hundred are outright
> sociopaths

>     But what lies on the *opposite* end of the behavior/perception bell
> curve that is capped by the sociopaths?

There was a movie, "Good Sam"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040395/
many years ago, in which the protagonist was so moved to help others
that some of his family responsibilities were neglected.  It was
intended as a comedy, but surely we see cases where someone's
awareness of the needs of others depletes the "normal" expectation of
response to the needs of dependents.

Don't know if that has a name.  In practical cases, I suspect the
spouse has recognized this property and signed on.  Can be hard on the
children, I suppose, who don't have the opportunity to opt in.

Richard