[LMB] Mispronunciation (was Re: OT: off topic (ish)

Thomas Vinson t.vinson at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 1 04:03:48 BST 2008

Back when I was around eight years old I used to ride the
train regularly between Kansas City and Minneapolis.
One of the stops along the way was Des Moines, Iowa.
It took me several trips to identify the written name with
the "day moyn" the conductor called out.

And until I started working for a local electrician after
high school I always pronounced the "l" in "solder".
(Actually I think "soldier" had a silent "l" in most
American speech until the mid-19th century or so.)

Tom