[LMB] the red gene, was: female heroes

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Mon Sep 1 14:52:51 BST 2008

Matija wrote:
> I would most certainly call Hermione's hair red - particularly if light
> shines through it
> like on the left side of the first picture on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermione_Granger
>
> I now understand that is incorrect and will try to mend my ways ;-)

I've observed that people's color vision can have subtle differences.

My wife loves blue and sees blue in amazing places including houses and
objects that are perfectly gray (to my eyes).

My vision is "certified" as "normal" from color vision tests I had done
before becoming an Army photographer and later.

When I was a color photo lab tech for a short while, one of our two
supervisors, a lady, liked our prints to be balanced in a way that looked
like they were seasick-green-gilled to me and the other supervisor and
workers.  But, she was the senior supervisor so when she was doing the
evaluation/corrections, we printed green people.  I'm sure we lost
significant sales.

But, naturally, all us men were color blind since it's men who are color
blind, not women - according to her.  Yet I'm sure her vision might have
passed the standard tests as "normal," too.  There's some variation that can
get through the tests.

The hair on the left side of the picture of Hermione looks perfectly brown
to my eyes on my monitor.  Indeed, you make a pure brown by mixing a certain
amount of red light and yellow light.  I can understand that it might look
always red to extra-red-sensitive (or yellow-less-sensitive) people.

But, the hair of brown haired people (almost all of us) looks brown to me.

Ed