[LMB] : OT: Pronunciation was: off topic (ish) Female Heroes

William A Wenrich wawenri at msn.com
Mon Sep 1 17:33:57 BST 2008

Peter Granzeau wrote:

<<My sister's name is Penelope; as a toddler, she rendered it "Nelpody" (of
course, she' really Penny).  Her second  grade teacher, who must have known
no Homer, began by rendering it "Penny Lope">>

It may be a southernism. Gayle, my wife if anyone is interested, comes from
middle Georgia (USA) and was almost named Penelope. They decided against
since her maiden name would have been Penny Dollar. Sensible people my
in-laws. They had always pronounced it "Penny Lope." Is it true that circus
people pronounce calliope "cally ope"?

William A. Wenrich
I am a Christian, husband, father, grandfather, son, and American. Here I
stand. I can do no other. God help me!