[LMB] OT: Audience or the mysterious pound sign

Andrew Barton andrew.157barton at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 1 21:50:32 BST 2008

At 06:59 PM 8/29/2008, Andrew Barton wrote:

>  I believe we've had this discussion before, and it was said then
 that the software that sends out this list in digest form strips
 everything down to 7 bits quite apart from anything that our mail readers might
 do.

> But it is inconsistent.  My post came back to me with the ? (British
 pound sterling) character intact; the reply also had the characters.  I
 think it begins to become a matter of how some people read the list (and
 with what software), rather than what the list software does with the
 Windows extended ASCII.  If your software doesn't recognize characters
 above ASCII 127, it might change the character to a ?, and, of course,
 that will be rendered in a reply the same way. <

  I think both effects must be going on.  I sometimes see pound signs and letters with accents, and sometimes not.

  The moral is that you should never rely on any formatting or unusual characters when sending messages to multiple readers.

  Andrew