[LMB] How to spell 'Ekaterin'?

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed Sep 3 18:20:14 BST 2008

At 12:16 AM 9/3/2008, Raye Johnsen wrote:

>--- Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I always rather assumed the "kat" was the stressed
>> syllable (matching the cognate "Catherine").
>
>Matching 'Ekaterin' to 'Katherine/Catherine' does me
>very little good on the pronunciation side, though,
>because I know a 'Kath-er-reen', a 'Cath'rin' and a
>'Cat-trin' (their preferred pronounciations), so...
>yeah.  Still lost, here.

I have known several, all pronounced KATH rin.  Sorry you haven't been so lucky.

OTOH, my aunt was named Carolyn (CARE o lin), and my daughter is Caroline (CARE o line).

I find that <http://www.behindthename.com/> is helpful in finding a pronunciation from which to start.  It sometime decides what correct English spelling is (they want Katherine) with which I don't agree, but wotthehell. . . .

In the case of Ekaterin, it just doesn't know the name.  Russian is Yekaterina, Bulgarian and Macedonian is Ekaterina.  Both have an -a last syllable, and both accent the "kat" syllable.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net