[LMB] OT: Alternative Transport

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Thu Sep 4 01:50:17 BST 2008

Micki:
> I think things are going to change as gas prices go up, and if we
> eventually lose a "cheap" energy source altogether. I think the smaller
> towns will start having more "conveniences"

Do you think it will be economically viable for those "conveniences,"
though?  If people can't afford to travel into the cities, the goods can't
"afford" to travel out to the hinterlands, either.

> But the energy crisis has been creeping up on us for 30 or more years (my
> god, it's almost 40 years since the 70s!). Things will not change until
> they come to a head. It's just not human nature to give up luxuries before
> we have to. Instead, I think people are more likely to grab all they can
> get until it's all gone. Sad, psychological fact.

Yup.

Megaera
who's been wondering what happened to all those alternative energies we were
promised back then