[LMB] OT: Alternative Transport

Kirsten Edwards carbonelle at juno.com
Thu Sep 4 03:06:00 BST 2008

Our Englishman-errant came up with the perfectly
dreamy idea of universal cars-for-hire; we can
ban the automobile. Thus demonstrating once again
that even the most peripatic of our cousins across
The Pond really  have no idea just how big the
U.S.A. really is: It's hard to imagine even if
(like me) you've driven across it several times.

Maegara pointed out that his scheme would leave
rural residents in the dust, giving examples.

The malfoy argued that one could retain limited
private automobile access for the boonies, and
ban the beasties in the cities.

And this is all well-and-good until you need to
hire someone from the cities to provide regular
services to said rural-ites. As in, there's very
few librarians willing to make the 100-mile
round trip loaded with books, gear & other
sundry equipment up Hwy 2. If you took away our
work-horse cars (A Volvo station wagon and a
Subaru Forester respectively) both the children's
librarian and I would revolt. The youth of
Skykomish could kiss our library services good-bye.
When the Powers that Be "allow" us our autos or
assign us the company vehicle, do you think They'd
spend the kind of money K. and I do to get the
best and safest cars to do our jobs in? For
podunk County employees? Riiiiiiiight.

But I described James' idea as dreamy didn't I?

It is--he's just got the cart before the horse (in
another typically non-American way I might add)

Develop the car for hire such that ruralites and city
folk find it easier and cheaper and more convenient
(pick two) to hire out their car services ... and let
the "private auto" wither away of its own accord.

Oh, there'd be handfuls and pockets of Luddites and
people for whom the "pick two" didn't amount to even
"pick one," but they'd still be able to purchase
what they need--niche markets do exist, after all--
especially if they're not illegal.

Gosh, it's crazy how some people are just bound-and
determined to decide for themselves what they need.
Those Americans!

Kirsten "I actually hate cars and driving with a flaming
purple passion" Edwards
"Infantem dormientem non movere"