[LMB] Comment on a delighful Bujold fanfic from the 2008 bunch

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Thu Sep 4 17:01:50 BST 2008

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 athagan at atlantic.net wrote:

> Quoting Bear Master <bearmaster0 at gmail.com>:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:53 AM, <athagan at atlantic.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Yes, Miles always has a cunning plan (or will soon have one), but a
> >> *Slytherin*?  I think not.  His basic nature just isn't Slytherin
> >> material.  He and Snape would be at war in nothing flat.
> >
> > His basic nature is that he would be at war with the head of the hose no
> > matter which house he was in.
>
> But *why* he had his commanding officers in the brig has everything to
> do with it.
>
> He'd be constantly looking for ways to stay out of sight or get out of
> trouble with Minerva McGonnigal because she's the sort of person he
> knows not to screw with.  Severas Snape on the other hand he'd
> probably take perverse delight into driving him to a frothing rage.

Are we losing sight of the fact that Snape's not the only Head of
Slytherin there's ever been?  All the authority in HP had to be
kind of incompetent so that the world could be saved by kids.

Miles is a difficult sort.  Unless you think all Slytherins are
evil, in which case there's really not much point in your talking
to me (at least about this) an equally good case can be made for
either Slytherin or Gryffindor.

He's always working the angles, like a Slytherin.  He rushes in
where angels fear to tread, like a Gryffindor.  I see him as
being more Slytherin than Gryffindor because he's not a crusader
even if he does occasionally get "that just ain't right" moments.
Both houses bend the rules so that's not helpful.

What he for sure isn't is a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.  He's not
someone who lives in his head all the time, and he's just NOT a
Hufflepuff.

~malfoy :)