[LMB] OT: law enforcement (was OT: alternate transport)

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 17:37:26 BST 2008

> anmar wrote:
> never, ever, ever consent to let the police search your vehicle.
> Even if you have nothing to hide.  If they find something left
> by someone else or plant something then it is admissable in
> court.  Also, if you have consented to the search, you may
> withdraw consent at any time.  You have rights, exercise them.

In the US, if you ask a policeman "Can I deny you permission to search?" they are allowed to lie and say "No." even if the answer is yes.  I can't remember the name of the Supreme Court case but it was in the early-mid 1990s, just after I got out of law school.  There was also a Law & Order ep that revolved around this.

Another tidbit: you don't have to go to the police station unless you're under arrest.

Another tidbit: Wherever you are, either you're under arrest or you're free to go.  If the police stop you from leaving (as distinguished from convincing you to stay, in whatever manner), then you MUST be under arrest.  You should be read your rights, allowed to call a lawyer, and not forced (again, distinguished from being convinced) to say anything.

The more I learn about law enforcement, the less inclined I am to cooperate voluntarily.  Sad, but true.  And I work with them all the time.

- Harimad