[LMB] OT: Food Better Bought

B. Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Sat Sep 6 04:33:52 BST 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_onion

> They're onions with all the flavor and much less bite.  I've been
> told that they need specific soil conditions to be that way even
> if you grow the same variety, hence the regional names (Walla Walla
> (from Washington state), Vidalia (from Georgia), etc.).  They tend
> not to ship well, but they are incredible.  An Oregon hamburger
> chain (Burgerville) makes onion rings from them when they're in
> season that are worth timing a trip for, if you're going to be
> there anyway.

And I don't know about not shipping well, we get Vidalias in Toronto supermarkets all the time ... they are an essential ingredient in Hoppin' John, by the way, as any other Far Southerner on the list can attest.

(Mess of white beans, or black-eyed peas, or field peas of any variety, really, simmered well with a slice of pork belly or salt pork until done, served over a bed of white rice, with a layer of chopped raw Vidalias or other sweet onions on top. Mustard greens or collards on the side, spinach is too bland.)

I'm putting up my hand for the liver 'n' onions too, but my beloved Sandie cannot stay in the same house where they are cooking ...

--
B. Ross Ashley http://brashley46.livejournal.com http://brashley46.no-ip.info
"It would be too painful to think that there are worlds somewhere