[LMB] OT: The joy of big cities

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Sep 6 14:35:33 BST 2008

On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 08:15:20AM -0500, Ed Burkhead wrote:
> Damien wrote:
> > For me, Manhattan and Tokyo *are* better.  And while people
> > talk about suburban yards for kids, teens are better off in cities
> > where they can take transit, rather than being stuck in
> > dependent boredom.
>
> No access to teen bars, malls, street gang membership, no easy access to
> adult-illegal drugs.  There were small town substitutes:  those who wanted

Museums, bookstores, the zoo, music venues, each other.  And from what I
hear gangs and drugs are spreading nicely into the suburbs anyway, and
meth's gotten everywhere.

But we might be talking at cross-purposes; a small town you can bike
effectively in isn't a big city, but it's not a suburb either.

-xx- Damien X-)